LETTER FROM PASTOR TIM
Dear members and friends of First Congregational Church, UCC of Muskegon,
At its meeting in May, the Governing Board decided that our official date of reopening for
in-person worship will be Sunday, June, 6, 2021!
Thanks to the efforts of our Building and Grounds Department, led by David Wikman, Mike Kestner
and Tom Williams, in cooperation with our whole church staff, but especially Rick Brott and
Elisabeth Major, we have completed the air conditioning and purification project that will allow us
to gather as safely as possible.
Procedures for doing so have been discussed at length for weeks now by the staff, and the Worship
and Music and Christian Education Departments. We thought we had everything in place, and then
came the latest revisions in the CDC Guidelines. And so, after lengthy discussion at the Governing
Board meeting, I have been asked to draft this letter laying the groundwork for how we are going to
In doing so there are many things to consider, but above all, as followers of Christ, we are called to
love each other and all our neighbors, and one part of that is having a special concern for the most
vulnerable among us.
We hope the procedures outlined below can be relaxed in fairly short order, but to begin with, this is
what we are asking of you.
Grace and peace,
In-Person Worship Guidelines
First Congregational Church, UCC
At A Glance
- Reservations required by calling or reserving online. We will seat those without reservations, either in the Sanctuary, the Balcony, or the Fellowship Hall, depending on space available.
- Ushers will direct participants to the allowed seating areas.
- For the time being masks are required.
- Communion and Coffee Hour are not scheduled at this time.
- Congregation will be dismissed by ushers; no indoor gathering please.
- Required until we can get a handle on what to expect. Please call 231-260-8559 or reserve online at
- Those who arrive without a reservation will be seated in sanctuary if space is available.
Parking & Entrance
- Entry to the building will be through the double doors (#1) at the top of the ramp on the northeast
corner of the building.
- All other doors will be locked! They do open with crash bars from inside in case of emergency.
- The entrance will be unlocked at 9:45 am. Allow time to be seated! Church will begin exactly at
- Host will check you in and direct you to safe distance spacing marked in the hallway.
- Ushers will seat worshipers from the front of the sanctuary to the back. Those with wheelchairs or
walkers will be seated in accessible areas.
- Please observe all directions from ushers and staff, NO exceptions.
- Properly worn masks are expected for each person aged 3 and up.
- Main floor Men’s/Women’s and Unisex restrooms will be open and available for use at your own
- Please do not bring food or drink in with you.
- Some congregational singing (seated and with masks) WILL be included.
- A stationary offering plate will be placed in the narthex for in-person donations.
- The celebration of communion will be suspended until further notice.
- Single-use printed worship aids will be available, please take home or leave them to be recycled.
- The Service will continue to be streamed live on YouTube and Facebook and archived online for
viewing any time afterwards.
- The Nursery will be available for children 4 and under; parents will be seated in the balcony only,
- Congregation will be dismissed row by row, from the back of the Sanctuary to the front, and
directed to exit via either Jefferson Street main doors OR the North parking lot doors. Please observe all directions from ushers and staff.
- There will be no coffee hour at this time.
- Please limit any gatherings to OUTDOORS ONLY.